Anne Answers

Sometimes I get asked… What do you want to do when you grow up?

Back in 2002, with my braces off and on the verge of finishing school, my friend and I wrote down a list of things we wanted to do with our lives. I have copied this list word for word, so I will let my 18 year old former self answer this question.

To Do List:

1. Go on overseas exchange2. Graduate with a Uni Degree3. Finishing school in Switzerland4. Open a Swiss Bank account5. Find Anne a Swiss man with a Swiss Back account6. Sponsor a child (South Africa)
7. Appear on Oprah 8. Learn Spanish/French 9. Write a book10. Build our island11. Card company - greeting cards for people who have enemies (when we retire)

Looking back at this forgotten list, I was pleasantly surprised at the things I could actually cross off. I’m not doing too badly considering no.11 is only for when we retire and no.3-5 were written because we had a brief fascination with all things Swiss.

I wonder how many of us sit with dreams and desires in our hearts that will never be fulfilled. 

My idea of life has changed dramatically since the days of school uniforms, celebrity adorned text books and packed lunches. I have come to realise that it's not the "things" that I do that makes up my life, it's the people I encounter and the God that I follow. Although whatever I do, I want to do it for more than myself, I want to love God and love people, I want to see lives transformed and most of all I want to leave a legacy of faith, compassion and love.

That being said, according to the above list, all I gotta do is write a book and build an island and all of my life's ambitions are completed... hmmm maybe it's time to write a new list and see what I can do in the next ten years.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About