Gratitude begins where our sense of entitlement ends....




A friend posted this on their Facebook this morning and it really struck me as apt for where we are at this moment in time with a young generation coming through behind us. 
There is much of the judges statement that rings true to me - "You are important and you are needed. It's too late to sit around and wait for somebody to do something someday. Someday is now and that somebody is you!" These things I agree with, however for me all of this still comes back to focusing on the family. Ultimately how we bestow (or fail to bestow) a sense of identity into our children and young people. If you do not know who you are, then you will always lack a sense of purpose and belonging - which everyone needs. All young people ask the question "Who am I?" and "Why am I here?"... If I could not answer those two questions I would also crave constant fun and "recreational facilities" to appease inner emptiness and boredom. 
So maybe towns don't owe youth recreational facilities and maybe teenagers do need a wake up call from time to time. But we cannot require for our children to behave in a way that we do not model. Are "grown ups" owed and entitled to well behaved, well mannered, passionate, purposeful and participating young people that they aren't invested in? I'm not sure that we are. 
People who want to give their "time, energy and talent" are more often or not those who have a sense of purpose. Those who contribute to the home are those who feel they belong to that family are so are invested in it. For me the bottom line of all of this is identity. We need to make sure our young people have a clear understanding of who they are, because it is from this place that purpose, passion and participation flow. 
My personal feeling is to find core identity you need to believe the right things, or more the right person. His name is Jesus? Do you know him? I do, and it is in Him all that all identity, purpose and inheritance lays. 

Thanks for stopping by, K x


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About